If you have ever experienced back pain, you are not alone in this endeavor. Approximately 80% of people claim to experience back pain regularly. It is now ranked as the second primary reason that individuals visit a doctor. While most back pain is thought to be from injury or bending in an unorthodox way, this is not always the case. Oftentimes, another common stimulant can be the shoes you wear. It’s true, improper footwear can be the cause of your back pain! No matter the cause of your discomfort, a chiropractor in Setauket can help provide treatment! Contact Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos to decide what treatment options are right for you!
When we force our feet into narrow or tight shoes, we are preventing our feet from moving the way they were meant to move. When we willingly engage in this poor health choice, this force radiates up the knees, hips, and lower back and creates copious amounts of discomfort.
Keeping your feet healthy:
To prevent back pain from occurring, your chiropractor in Setauket may suggest some of these helpful tips for prevention and healthy living:
- Walk outside – When you walk without shoes on, you can allow your foot muscles to wake up and do some work. Walk in the sand or through some grass. Your feet will thank you and you’ll feel better mentally after doing some light exercise!
- Exercise your feet – When we want to strengthen any muscle, we must exercise it. The same goes for your foot muscles. Don’t forget to work them out as well!
- Use orthotic inserts – Choosing the correct insoles can relieve pain in your lower back. It can even relieve shin splints, knee, and joint pain! Why go out and buy new shoes when you can insert insoles into your favorite pair?
As humans, it is natural for our feet to want to be free and shoeless. Ask your chiropractor in Setauket if these tips are right for you and your back pain!
What shoe is the right shoe for back pain?
When purchasing new shoes, we tend to go for the appearance of the shoe, but it’s important to take into consideration how that shoe will affect your health and comfort levels. Some of the features your chiropractor in Setauket may tell you to look out for include the following:
- Good arch support – This can prevent hyper-pronation, which is when your foot moves inward, leading to hip and back issues. It will also align your back and legs, helping to improve your posture.
- Good cushioning – When running or walking, our feet forcefully hit the ground. Applying a good cushion can lower the impact on your back and reduce discomfort levels.
- Avoiding flats with no arch – This can lead to problems with your leg and back posture and potentially create pain/discomfort.
- Avoiding high heels – Any heel over two inches can increase the chances of lower back pain due to the impact it has on back posture.
- Get the right size – Your foot needs room to move in its natural way. Too tight or too large can impair how you walk.
- Replace shoes when needed – If your supportive cushion is wearing out, it will no longer be beneficial to your foot.
If you think you are experiencing back pain due to improper shoes, request an appointment with Dr. Sophia Ageropoulos, a chiropractor in Setauket. She can help treat your back pain and get you back to living a happy and healthy life!