Chiropractic for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) occurs when a nerve becomes pinched within the arm in the “carpal tunnel” where the median nerve intersects with several different tendons. The result is a condition in which the carpal tunnel itself swells, causing a variety of symptoms including:
- Weak grip
Carpal tunnel syndrome is an injury that is commonly reported as a workplace injury among those with jobs that require repetitive movements. Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos is a chiropractor in Port Jefferson that treats soft tissue injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome. For more information on how to get an appointment with Dr. Argeropoulos, visit this page.
How is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome treated?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is considered a soft tissue injury involving the nerves and tendons of the arm and wrist. Soft tissue injuries such as CTS are treated in the following ways:
- Soft tissue rehabilitation
- Chiropractic care
- Provides an all natural, drug-free, non-invasive approach to treatment.
- Usually involves manual manipulation by your chiropractor to take pressure off of the median nerve.
- Wearing a wrist splint
- In some cases, steroid injections or surgery may be needed.
Can carpal tunnel syndrome be prevented?
Yes! Take the following steps to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome:
- Take a break from your current task and stretch your arm and wrist muscles.
- Pay attention to how intense your grip is- if you feel a strain, try using less of a force on whatever you are grabbing onto.
- Relax. Maybe you are carrying a lot of tension in your wrists and arms because you are clenching your fists as a nervous habit. You may benefit from using relaxation techniques such as meditation and deep breathing exercises.
If you find that you are suffering from CTS, please call us today to make an appointment with a chiropractor in Port Jefferson.