Treating Muscle Spasms
Muscle spasm may be irritating and painful, but did you ever think that it might be your body trying to say something? Perhaps you have been putting too much stress on your muscles through strenuous activity, and your muscles are now overworked and weak. You may have wondered: how do I treat muscle spasms? Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos, our chiropractor in Port Jefferson, can help relieve your muscle spasms and prevent it from happening again.
Causes of Muscle Spasms
Muscles spasms can affect several different parts of the body. A spasm is an uncontrolled contraction of the muscle and they often will make your muscles feel tight. Spasms normally last from seconds to 15 minutes; occurs abruptly; and are painful. Common causes of muscle spasms include:
- Muscle fatigue
- Overuse of the same muscle
- Not properly stretching before any physical activity
- Exercising in heated temperatures
- Previous injury or trauma to a muscle
How Can I Treat Muscle Spasms?
Those suffering from muscle spasms can benefit from chiropractic care. Because a muscle spasm can occur in the neck, legs, arms, and back, chiropractic care can be able to treat you. The services our chiropractor in Port Jefferson can provide to alleviate muscle spasms include:
- Soft Tissue Manipulation: this includes therapeutic stretching and massage therapy. Massaging the affecting muscles helps relieve the tension for a longer period of time. It also helps reduce any retained fluid and provides relief for muscle spasms.
- Adjustments: these are the most common treatments options offered by a chiropractor. Our chiropractor applies force on the affected area to reposition the body in the correct position. This helps restore normal function which, in turn, reduces pain and decreases muscle spasms.
We understand muscle spasms can often be painful and sometimes intolerable, that is why we want to help. A consultation with Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos, our chiropractor in Port Jefferson, will help determine the best treatment method for your specific needs. For more information on our service at our practice, contact us today!