Have you ever stopped to think about how pivotal of a role your spine plays regarding your overall health? Acting as a structure of support for your whole body, the health of your spine should always be your top priority. At Dr. Sophia Argerogpoulos’ office, our team can make sure you remain upright and pain-free. For information on how our chiropractor in Setauket can keep you healthy, please schedule an appointment.
Common Causes Of Spine Problems
When it comes to spine problems, many things can lead to them occurring. Our chiropractor in Setauket is well versed in this area, and can help you overcome and correct these problems should they develop. Below are some examples of what can lead to issues with the health of your spine:
- Muscle weakness.
- Muscle imbalances.
- Skeletal misalignments.
- Poor biomechanics.
- Living a sedentary lifestyle.
Poor Posture And Pain
When you fail to keep up with your spine health, an array of ailments can soon deteriorate your quality of life. Having a poor posture is one of these problems. Although a poor posture may start as an aesthetic issue, it can quickly divulge into something worse. The more it becomes thrown off, the harder movement can be for the victim. The spine also houses major nerves that allow for the sensation of feeling. When the spine becomes misaligned, these nerves can become damaged or compressed, causing mass amounts of pain.
How Our Chiropractor In Setauket Will Help
One of the main jobs of our chiropractor in Setauket is to promote spine health. Through the use of what are known as chiropractic adjustments and manipulations, we’ll be able to keep your spine in top shape. These methods involve placing specific amounts of pressure on certain parts of the body. This process allows misalignments to be corrected while also increasing your flexibility and range of motion. They can be used as both active and preventive treatment methods, so if you’re serious about spine health, we recommend you working with us.
The health of your spine is never something to take for granted. We understand that here at Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos’ office, which is why we are committed to helping our patients in any way possible. To schedule an appointment with our chiropractor in Setauket, be sure to contact our team today.
Meet Our Chiropractor in Setauket – Dr. Sophia A. Argeropoulos
Dr. Sophia A. Argeropoulos has been serving the Port Jefferson and surrounding communities since 1985. She completed her Doctorate of Chiropractic at Palmer College of Chiropractic in 1983 and specializes in the treatment of all spine-related conditions including headaches, neck pain, back pain, bulging and herniated discs, sciatica, pinched nerves, neuropathy, whiplash, sprains, strains, auto and work-related injuries.
For the past 15 years, she has served on the board of the New York State Chiropractic Association. Her office is affiliated with Mather Hospital’s Chiropractic Collaboration and the Back & Neck Pain Center of Mather Hospital.
How can our chiropractor in Setauket help you?
For those who are looking for a way to help ease their back and neck pain, spinal adjustments may be the solution to your problems. There are a number of benefits that spinal adjustments can have on your body, and Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos is a chiropractor in Setauket who can perform a spinal adjustment to help treat your back pain.
Why get a spinal adjustment?
If you are suffering from pain, whether it’s a headache or discomfort in your neck or back, spinal adjustments will be able to bring you relief. Spinal adjustments provide a safe and easy way to help ease the pain you may be experiencing without having to go through surgery.
Spinal adjustments performed by our chiropractor in Setauket can have a lot of positive effects on your body:
- It can help treat a number of different ailments. Whatever pain you’re experiencing, this treatment option is a great choice.
- Spinal adjustments are especially beneficial in sports, where many professional athletes use this to help ease pain and reduce inflammation, as well as relieve muscle tension.
- It can help those who are suffering from low back pain and are considering surgery.
- Spinal adjustments have been shown to help those dealing with blood pressure issues. Those who underwent chiropractic care saw their blood pressure return to normal levels compared to where it was before.
There are plenty of benefits that spinal adjustments can do for you. It can be a good alternative to surgery, as well as relief for pain you may be experiencing. Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos is a chiropractor in Setauket who offers spinal adjustments and is ready to treat you.
Chiropractic Care for Pregnancy
Our chiropractor in Setauket who can help you with chiropractic care during your pregnancy. If you are worried about whether or not chiropractic care is safe for you and your baby, it is important to know that all chiropractors are trained to work with those who are pregnant. Because pregnancy can often cause many changes to your health, including a misaligned spine and pelvis, a chiropractor can help with these issues to ensure that you experience a healthy and happy pregnancy.
Some of the benefits that our chiropractor in Setauket can bring for your pregnancy include:
- Pain relief in neck, back, hips and joints
- Decreased nausea
- Improved posture
- Balanced pelvis
- Lower risk of birth defects
- Improved ability of natural birth
- Lower chance of breech or posterior position
- Easier and faster delivery
When should you start coming to a chiropractor to treat these issues? Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos suggests you start as soon as you start feeling any pain or discomfort, otherwise it can worsen over time. Before you decide to come in, be sure to talk to your gynecologist beforehand to know if it is safe for you and your baby. Using spinal manipulation and adjustments, will not only relieve your pain and improve your posture, but it will also improve your nervous system. Chiropractic care is a great alternative for treating the spine and nerves, and it will help you feel better during this exciting time in your life.
As a chiropractor in Setauket, Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos has treated all kinds of patients with a variety of issues, including sciatica, pinched nerves, and back pain, all of which are common issues for pregnant women. Her chiropractic care will improve your lifestyle before and after you give birth, ensuring a healthy pregnancy and baby.
The spinal cord is made up of a series of vertically stacked bones called vertebrae. In-between these stacked bones are disc-shaped material that serve as cushions. They serve as shock absorbers, taking in the different impacts produced from your body movement during daily activities. Our chiropractor, Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos, can provide optimal chiropractor in Setauket and treat your herniated disc.
These “shock absorbers” are composed of two parts: the soft gelatinous inner portion, the nucleus pulposus, and the tough outer ring, the annulus. Injury to the spinal cord can cause this inner delicate portion to protrude through the outer ring, which is known as a herniated or prolapsed disc.
Signs of this condition include leg pain; burning or numbness down the back of the thigh; intense pain that comes with prolonged sitting; and pains when bending forward or twisting.
What causes herniated discs?
Herniated discs can be caused by a number of factors, some of which include:
- Wear and tear on the spine – the effects of our daily activities and movements on our spinal cord result in wear and tear of the discs. The amount of stress these discs are subjected to can cause the annulus fibrous (tough outer layer of the disc) to weaken and give way to the internal delicate nucleus pulposus to push through, creating a herniated disc.
- Injury – injuries can cause a herniated disc. A herniated disc in a patient could result from car accidents, probably as a result from the sudden and sharp jerk the car makes. This could put so much pressure and stress on the disc, causing it to herniate. Lifting heavy objects incorrectly or bending and twisting awkwardly could cause this condition
- Combination of spinal degeneration and injury – spinal degeneration is caused as a result of wear and tear, which are compounded over several years, making the disc more prone to herniation. This already-weakened disc will therefore herniate from an event that doesn’t seem like a very traumatic incident. There have been reported cases of herniated discs as a result of sudden sneezing.
Chiropractic care for herniated discs
Our chiropractor in Setauket will make use of a form of nonsurgical treatment for herniated disc patients. We have special techniques to restore full function to a damaged disc. Any of the following medical techniques can be used to treat herniated disc by our chiropractor.
- Flexion-distraction Technique for Herniated Discs – flexion-distraction technique is a common technique used by Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos to correct a herniated disc. This technique involves the use of specialized table, which gently stretches the spine while the chiropractor isolates the damaged disc. Using a pumping rhythm, the chiropractor gently flexes this damaged disc. This form of chiropractic care for a damaged disc is usually associated with minimal pain. This technique’s gentle pumping of the damaged area allows the soft inner part of the disc to assume its original central position. Flexion-distraction technique may also improve the disc’s height.
- Pelvic Blocking Techniques for Herniated Discs – this technique involves the use of cushioned wedges, which are placed under each side of the pelvis. This will help relieve the nerves that have been trapped or pressed down under the damaged disc. These trapped nerves normally cause great pain and discomfort in herniated disc patients.
Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos has helped her clients for years, and if you’re suffering from a herniated disc, our chiropractor in Setauket care can get you recovered immediately. If you’re interested in making an appointment, contact us today!
Muscle spasm may be irritating and painful, but did you ever think that it might be your body trying to say something? Perhaps you have been putting too much stress on your muscles through strenuous activity, and your muscles are now overworked and weak. You may have wondered: how do I treat muscle spasms? Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos, our chiropractor in Setauket, can help relieve your muscle spasms and prevent it from happening again.
Causes of Muscle Spasms
Muscles spasms can affect several different parts of the body. A spasm is an uncontrolled contraction of the muscle and they often will make your muscles feel tight. Spasms normally last from seconds to 15 minutes; occurs abruptly; and are painful. Common causes of muscle spasms include:
- Muscle fatigue
- Overuse of the same muscle
- Not properly stretching before any physical activity
- Exercising in heated temperatures
- Previous injury or trauma to a muscle
How Can I Treat Muscle Spasms?
Those suffering from muscle spasms can benefit from chiropractic care. Because a muscle spasm can occur in the neck, legs, arms, and back, chiropractic care can be able to treat you. The services our chiropractor in Setauket can provide to alleviate muscle spasms include:
- Soft Tissue Manipulation: this includes therapeutic stretching and massage therapy. Massaging the affecting muscles helps relieve the tension for a longer period of time. It also helps reduce any retained fluid and provides relief for muscle spasms.
- Adjustments: these are the most common treatments options offered by a chiropractor. Our chiropractor applies force on the affected area to reposition the body in the correct position. This helps restore normal function which, in turn, reduces pain and decreases muscle spasms.
We understand muscle spasms can often be painful and sometimes intolerable, that is why we want to help. A consultation with Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos, our chiropractor in Setauket, will help determine the best treatment method for your specific needs. For more information on our service at our practice, contact us today!
Whether we’re watching them or playing them, people all over the world are passionate about sports. But while the thrill of an athletic competition is always exhilarating, injuries are unfortunately another aspect of being an athlete that we cannot avoid. Sports-related injuries are typically accidental, but by taking certain measures, we can hope to avoid them. Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos, our chiropractor in Setauket, can offer the following information regarding these common sports injuries:
Meniscus tears are unfortunately a highly common sports injury that occurs in the knees/lower body of the patient. The meniscus part of your knee is the cartilage that acts as a “shock absorber” in between your thigh bone and shinbone. When this cartilage tears, it can lead to serious complications. A catalyst for the injury could be a situation in which the knee is forced to contort awkwardly, which could be triggered by a forceful motion such as a tackle in football. Most athletes may actually hear a “popping” sound when the tearing occurs, which is a clear warning sign. Other symptoms of a torn meniscus would include being unable to move your knee through its full range of motion and severe pain/swelling.
Another common injury, sports hernias (athletic pubalgia) can be very painful and tough to maintain. It’s a soft tissue injury that occurs in the groin area of the athlete. Sports that require sudden changes of movement and sharp cuts (football, soccer ex.) are more likely to give the patient a sports hernia. Unlike a traditional hernia, sports hernias typically affect the lower abdomen and groin area only. This soft tissue tear or stretch can consist of the muscles, tendons, or ligaments in the aforementioned areas. Our chiropractor in Setauket can give you the best treatment for your sports hernia.
Sprains can occur in any part of the body that contains the strong band of tissues known as ligaments. But due to the many ligaments contained within the wrist, this makes a wrist sprain a highly common injury, especially for athletes. Typically, the injury occurs when the athlete is forced to bend their wrist forcefully. Wrist sprains can vary between mild and severe, with a grading range stemming from 1-3. Swelling/tenderness are normal symptoms, along with persistent pain that occurs when you move your wrist.
Do you or someone you know suffer from temporomandibular joint disorder, also known as TMJ? TMJ is a common disorder that can cause pain in the jaw and skull and make eating and chewing difficult. So you might be wondering, “how would a chiropractor in Setauket be able to help?” Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos is here to tell you why you should seek chiropractic care for your TMJ!
Some of the common symptoms of TMJ include the following:
- Pain or tenderness in face, jaw, neck, and shoulders
- Problems when you try to open your mouth wide
- Jaw gets stuck in an open or closed position
- Difficulty chewing
- Uncomfortable bite
- Earaches, ringing in the ears, hearing problems
Our chiropractor in Setauket can help treat pain related to TMJ. A popular service we offer includes spinal manipulation, which even if you do not have spine problems, it can improve the balance in your body and improve your nervous system. We also offer joint mobilization, where we will show you the most comfortable ways for you to move your jaw joints, helping to make them more comfortable. Whatever symptoms of TMJ you have, our chiropractic care has been shown to relieve headaches, neck aches, and other pains related to TMJ.
In addition to our chiropractic services, our chiropractor in Setauket will tell you how you can treat your TMJ symptoms at home using the following natural remedies.
- Applying cold or heat packs to the jaw
- Eat soft foods
- Massaging and relaxing the jaw, avoid moving it too much
- Essential oils, including lavender or chamomile
Whatever pains you are having related to your TMJ, Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos is there to help. As a chiropractor in Setauket, Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos will help relieve any aches you have in your jaw and neck, using natural remedies that work best for you. Contact us today to make an appointment!