Medical massages are used for a variety of different purposes, from relieving stress to aiding with chronic and acute conditions. The act of massaging involves manually manipulating soft body tissue, such as muscles and ligaments, to enhance one’s health and well-being. If you are interested in medical massage treatments, contact Chrys Argeropoulos for the best medical massage therapy in Port Jefferson for additional information.
What are the types of medical massage therapy?
Medical massage therapy can be broken down into two fundamental categories:
- Rehabilitative medical massage – this is designed to support the healing of injuries and restore full range of motion.
- e.g. deep tissue, therapeutic
- Practiced in clinics, hospitals, and chiropractic offices
- Relaxation medical massage – this technique is used for relaxation to boost energy levels.
- Swedish medical massage
- Practiced in spas, resorts, and wellness centers
What can it treat?
Medical massages may feel like an indulgence and a form of relaxation, but they are proving to be beneficial and an effective form of treatment for various conditions. Some of these conditions include:
- Asthma and bronchitis
- Breast cancer
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Common cold and flu
- Frozen shoulder
- Headaches and migraines
- Muscle tension, spasms, strains, and sprains
- Sports-related injuries
- Temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMD)
- Whiplash Associated Disorder
Research shows that medical massage therapy is aiding in faster injury recovery and reducing the need for medications and potential surgeries. For years, it’s been used in conjunction with treatments such as chiropractic. Today, medical massage therapy is being seen more often in clinical settings and can be found in cancer clinics, OBGYN offices, and orthopedic offices.
What are the benefits of medical massage therapy?
- It’s relaxing
- When our body undergoes stress, it produces unhealthy levels of cortisol, a stress hormone which can lead to weight gain and sleeplessness among others.
- It reduces stress
- Lowers blood pressure
- Promotes muscle relaxation
- Can help improve circulation and posture
- Can help strengthen the body’s immune system
If you are suffering from any of the conditions listed above and are a resident of the area, our medical massage therapy in Port Jefferson can help you! Contact us today to begin your treatment.
no rating based on votes
Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos
Massage Therapy in Port Jefferson