Headaches just so happen to be one of the most common medical complaints. Like it or not, you will likely experience it at one time or another during your life. Whether the cause of your headache stems from stress, anxiety, emotional distress, or other medical conditions, know that there are ways to minimize the symptoms. What many of us do not realize though is that there are plenty of ways you can work through the pain of headaches naturally. Natural remedies are a drug-free way to relieve your symptoms and pain. Often medication can be a temporary solution to treat your headaches. Yet there are many at-home steps you can take to relieve your headaches quickly, as well as reduce their frequency.
The first natural remedy you can take is the type of food that you eat. Many times, a headache can be caused by a deficiency in certain nutrients and vitamins. Certain foods that can flare up a migraine. Below are foods that relieve your migraine symptoms.
- Watermelon: Dehydration is one of the major causes of headaches. Water-rich foods can be the perfect alternative to medication. The water that is in fruits and vegetables like watermelon contain magnesium that plays a role in preventing headaches.
- Whole-grain bread: Too little of carbohydrates can cause headaches. Eating healthy carbs such as whole-grain bread, oatmeal, and fruit can help relieve your headaches
- Almonds: The magnesium that is found in almonds may be able to stop your headaches by relaxing blood vessels. Magnesium-rich foods like bananas, avocados, brown rice, and seeds can help with your migraine symptoms.
- Yogurt: Your headache may be caused by a calcium deficiency. The brain relies on calcium to run efficiently. Calcium-rich foods like greek yogurt may be able to stop your headache
- Sesame Seeds: Sprinkling sesame seeds on top of your food can give you a great source of magnesium and vitamin E. Vitamin E is known to improve circulation which also prevents headaches.
Some daily changes within your diet such as limiting alcohol and increasing water intake help relieve headaches as well.
Vitamins and Supplements:
In addition to your diet, another natural remedy to relieve headaches is to regularly take vitamins and supplements. 5 of the best vitamins and supplements to take include:
- Vitamin B-2
- Coenzyme Q10
- Melatonin – Getting an adequate amount of sleep can play a huge role in getting rid of your headaches. Melatonin can help you regulate a normal sleep cycle.
Another option for a natural remedy is essential oils. Essential oils come from plants and contain aromatic compounds. Putting lavender and peppermint oil on your temples can reduce your headache.
How can a Chiropractor Help?
While all of these remedies are great alternatives when it comes to treating your headaches, pairing it with other treatments can increase the benefits. For example, practicing these remedies while at home and regularly seeking chiropractic treatment can help ease the tension and pain that come along with headaches. As an alternative to traditional medicine, chiropractic care can help improve your bodies functioning and relieve pain.
Taking care of yourself at home is a huge step, the next is seeking out the medical attention you require. If you are looking for relief from those pesky headaches, then look no further than chiropractic care with Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos! Aside from providing chiropractic services, like spinal adjustments and manipulations, she can guide you in the right direction when it comes to lifestyle changes involving nutrition and your spinal health.