Chiropractic Care For Headaches
Headaches can occur for a number of reasons. Whether it be related to your lifestyle, your genetics, or some other underlying factor. Regardless, headaches are never fun to deal with. If you experience constant headaches or migraines, you should seek out the help of a professional. Many of those who suffer from migraines and headaches do not realize that chiropractic care is one of the best treatments for their problem. Our chiropractor near Mt. Sinai, Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos, is the answer you are looking for to finally be rid of your chronic headaches for good.
Migraines are characterized by pulsing or throbbing pain. They are often recurring and the pain is felt on only one side of the head. They also lead to dizziness or nausea, as well as sensitivity to sound and light. Chiropractic care for migraines includes:
- Neuromuscular massage – our chiropractor or massage therapist can apply pressure to specified areas focusing on trigger points lying in the neck, back, shoulders, and head in order to reduce the symptoms of migraines.
- Multidisciplinary care intervention – a chiropractor near Mt. Sinai combines different chiropractic techniques, stress management, and dietary counseling in order to reduce migraine frequency, pain, and duration.
Tension headaches are the most commonly experienced headache. It has been described as feeling like a tight band is wrapped around the head. They are characterized by dull, aching pain across the forehead and back of the head. Chiropractic care for tension headaches includes:
- Low-load craniocervical mobilization – A chiropractor near Mt. Sinai applies force to the neck joints, resulting in the rhythmic movement of the cervical segments. The force in this procedure is gentler than that in spinal manipulation. A chiropractor also includes a stretching regimen with this procedure.
Cervicogenic headaches are characterized by one-sided pain that makes its way from the back of the head to the front. Often, shoulder or arm pain occurs on the same side that the headache occurs on. They are secondary headaches, meaning that they are a result of an underlying factor such as a neck injury or high blood pressure. Chiropractic care for cervicogenic headaches include:
- Joint mobilization – A chiropractor near Mt. Sinai moves the joints in order to reduce or eliminate pain, targeting the cervical spine in the process.
- Spinal manipulation – A chiropractor applies controlled force to a certain area of the spine using either a device or their hands. An accompanying popping sound is often common with this procedure.
- Deep neck flexion exercises – A chiropractor assists in the performance of exercises that involves the active movement of joints and muscles. This allows for stretching of the deep neck flexor muscles that support the neck.
A Chiropractor near Mt. Sinai Can Help!
If you find yourself suffering from any one of the headaches listed above and can’t seem to find relief, consult with our chiropractor near Mt. Sinai. Dr. Sophia Argeropoulos is experienced in the chiropractic treatment of headaches and is dedicated to making patients feel better. Don’t let chronic headaches get in the way of your life; contact us today!